Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Celebrating While Under Quarantine

We celebrated this girl on Sunday. Shelter-in-place orders have obviously changed our daily routines as well as options available to celebrate a birthday. It would have been her first birthday away from home, but we were able to have her with us for another year since she has recently moved back from university.

These images were taken in January during winter break.






She is a girl of tradition, so despite real disappointment at not ending her semester on campus, she was glad to be with family for her birth date. When I asked her what would please her, she requested some of her favorite homemade meals and we enjoyed an easy-going day. It was definitely characterized by quarantine orders, but I think this will be a year she remembers.

Breakfast of challah French toast with berry sauce and maple syrup was followed by family "church" in the sunroom. Then we went out for a drive through the beach towns; we made a quick stop for ice cream and a short walk. We ended up at the beach, of course, but discovered it to be closed.

Originally, we were planning on a family picnic dinner at the beach, but as closures became more widespread during the week, an alternate plan was needed. When options dwindle, creativity and resourcefulness are essential to mark an occasion and set it apart from the norm. Oddly, this is a challenge I enjoy! My plan became a rooftop dinner where we could watch the sun set over the ocean. I was going to arrange a patchwork of blankets and cushions, and decorate with lanterns and candles. Instead, Jon offered to set up a table and chairs, and he strung some lights for added ambiance; we decided this would be more comfortable.

It was fun to see Olivia's expression as she climbed the ladder to the roof.



She had asked if I could make one of her favorites: Chicken pot pie. I made individual servings, but managed to over-bake the puff pastry a bit. However, bowls still hot from the oven were perfect in the crisp evening air.



Ok, so the boys either weren't overly keen on pictures or they weren't in photogenic mode. I try not to force.

Her cake was a usual request: Chocolate with layers of berries and whipped cream. Under the current lack of grocery store supplies, I was happy for a friend who found flour for me and then delivered it with cream! The evening ended with a board game by the fire place. 

So, in short, simple enjoyments marked another year of life. Under the circumstances, I'm glad she has an appreciation for quiet, uncomplicated expressions of celebration. 

How time flies! To think of all the change that has transpired since I first held her in my arms, and to realize the immensity of joy that her life produces in mine is beyond my ability to express. She is a precious gift and friend.



~Katherine

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear of an non-traditional way of celebrating. She knows she is well loved and that is where it counts. Blessings Sweet Olivia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is just too stinkin cute���� xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Victoria! I was actually thinking of you today... How sad I am for you and all the seniors this year! Whatever happens, I'm sure you will be celebrated in a unique and memorable way!

      Delete
  3. I just love your God given ability to articulate such a sweet memory Olivia will have for years to come. Well done mama! Friendship with adult children are one of the sweetest gifts!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...