Saturday, March 14, 2020

No Change of Plan

Weird week, yes? Everything came to a grinding stop pretty rapidly; each day seems to bring a new plan. Or just no plan. It has been an interesting thing to observe, that’s for sure.

On the upside to all the disappointments of cancelled events, everyone is home together and healthy. That’s pretty much all a mother could dream of in time of national crisis! Now I’ve got to figure out how to make six people breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day even though the grocery store shelves are pretty much empty. Though I have plenty of food, it’s time to get creative without a few staples. At least we have toilet paper. 

As the schedule began to clear, my eventual instinct was to think, “Yay! Now I have more time! Let’s have people over and serve a big Sunday brunch before we watch the sermon together.” But then came the realization of “social distancing.” I went to the store anyway and found no eggs, no bread, no coffee, no breakfast meats, no yogurt, limited fruit and vegetables… I gave up on the Sunday brunch idea, which is probably best for the sake of good citizenship. Irish cut oatmeal could have worked, though, served with all sorts of yummy toppings; or homemade pancakes with maple syrup and a berry sauce made from the frozen berries in my freezer. I had 8 eggs in the fridge this afternoon before Andrew used some and I could have made other baked goods. There’s always a way, including intermittent fasting, which would just eliminate the need for Sunday brunch! That could also help to “flatten the curve” of another sort! 

Seriously, though, I’m reminded once again that God is in control of the microscopic. (Did you know some viruses are small enough to infect a single bacterium?) Nothing is independent from his plan, including novel viruses, oil wars, economies, politics… and tp supplies. There really is no change of plan, only a change of my expectations for the month. The plan was alway certain from the very beginning of time. This fallen world and human nature, as scary as they can be, are never an uncertain thing in the hands of God. There is always safety and certainty for those who have responded to his invitation of love.



My kids all have plenty of school work that they can access and must complete in the coming weeks, but I’ve got hiking in mind as well. Wild flowers are sprouting, thanks to recent rain, and I see no reason for allowing cabin fever to strike.

Stay well, friends. And love well…

~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...