Friday, March 6, 2020

Hello Spring

This week has felt like spring. Fragrance of jasmine and orange blossoms have been wafting in through open windows, and bunches of flowers from the yard fill my house. Those who have been home during the day have sat out in the sun on the deck for lunch. I blended fresh orange-pineapple smoothies for breakfast this morning, and I'm finding myself dreaming up summer dinner parties. Before heading out the door, I tied a colorful scarf onto the strap of my bag.

Next week will bring rain, but I expect to find beauty and wonder in that, too.

I've recommitted to giving Jacob more unstructured play time in open spaces like I used to with all the others. I think it's probably normal that the baby of the family loses out on some of their childhood as family affairs shift to that which is relevant to teenagers and young adults. It's my strong belief that all people need open head space: time to decompress, explore, sort through matters of the heart, meditate... to always be OK with one's own company, and to be mentally still long enough that thoughts of God and eternality come in. Constant academic pressures, extra-curricular commitments, expectations, schedules, and ever-present noise and distractions of life need to occasionally give way. I'd say this is critical for everyone's well-being.

My new goal is to break away with him at least once a week. Mostly it will look like a lunch time picnic at the beach nearby, like we did today. It gave good motivation to work hard before, and the refreshment needed to tackle the last writing assignment afterwards. Maybe I'll even be able to reduce my running shoe tan line.

Jacob is at musical theater rehearsals till dinner time now. It's after 4 o'clock and the cuff of my jeans are still wet. Ah, yes. Welcome Friday!


~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...