Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reflecting and Preparing

  1. Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of the car accident that could have easily ended Jon and Andrew's life. I am so thankful that God spared them and graciously protected them from more permanent and life altering injuries. My life continues to be blessed by theirs. How very different today would be without them!

Today we sang How Firm a Foundation at church, and the fourth verse (I think) really struck me as fitting for the day of the accident and the months to follow.
  1. “When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
    The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
    For I will be with thee thy trouble to bless,
    And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress."

Indeed, God did bless my troubles. He proved His sustaining power to me, He drew me closer to Himself, and He displayed His sanctifying work in my life by granting me faith and confidence in His sovereign plan despite some pretty harsh realities. I wouldn't exchange that horrible day for anything. It is part of our story now and the product of that suffering is precious to us.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jon and I had the privilege of staying at a gorgeous coastal resort with M and M, one of our favorite couple in the world. We so rarely leave our kids for an overnight getaway, but this was really worth it. The times we spend with these friends are always fun and refreshing. They are a such a huge part of our lives and we are so thankful for them. In fact, they dropped everything to come along side us after the accident and faithfully upheld us in prayer. I simply don't have the facility with words to express how much they mean to us! But needless to say it was wonderful to spend extended time together without our combined eight children (though we do love time as families too). 



The weather was simply beautiful, especially considering we're in the month of December! We even slept with our patio door open, and the lull of the waves made it so hard to get up in the morning. 


Now isn't he handsome? I'm so glad to be his wife! We had lots of time alone, which only makes me want to spend more time alone!



We even had some time to map out how we want to teach our children in the coming months and specific ways we want to come along side each of them and help them grow in the area of responsibility. We discussed our own responsibility as parents, and how we are dependent upon God to produce fruit in the lives of our children. We are merely called to faithfully teach and instruct them. God is the one who will change hearts, not us. It is not the work of man, but of God. This is freeing to realize, yet it brings me to my knees in complete dependence on Him.

So our little getaway was the calm before the storm. This week is going to be busy, in a crazy I-can't-believe-we-signed-up-for-this kind of way. But I don't need to stress. I can take it one thing at a time, moment by moment, and plan for the next step as best I can.  And perhaps plan that next year won't be as hectic!

I am finding that my thoughts recently are more about the resurrection than about Jesus' birth. After all,  Jesus came to die and I am forever grateful.


~Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...