Sunday, November 28, 2010

Resting in His Goodness

Recently there have been so many lovely days to blog about; so many things I've been reflecting upon that I would like to record. Because Thanksgiving was just a few days ago, there are many blessings I would love to type out right now. But since today is Sunday and for the second week in a row I have stayed home from church with my children because of illnesses (today is the stomach flu), I have been thinking about God's sovereignty over all things. Indeed, this day was ordained for me and I cannot help but rejoice because I am certain of my  heavenly Father's love for me. And so I can be fine with what seems to come my way.

As we near the second anniversary of the accident, I have been thinking about God's sovereignty and lovingkindness toward me. Almost two years ago I stood outside of the ER waiting for the ambulance containing Jon and Andrew to arrive. I didn't know Andrew was critically injured, but I was very aware of the possibility of never seeing Jon alive on this side of eternity. In God's love and compassion for me, He provided an overwhelming confidence in His steadfast love for me. I knew that He would supply all that I needed to face and accept what He had ordained for me and my family.

The things we naturally consider to be terrible events or circumstances in our lives are the very things God uses to draw us to Him. I have found this to be real in my life. I desire to remember the fact that my days are ordained by the One whose love for me is immeasurable; by being aware of this, I can respond in a way that brings glory to Him.

A couple weeks ago I was reading a devotional by Elizabeth Elliot. Here is what I underlined because I need to be reminded in order to keep the right perspective.

"Jesus had perfect confidence in His Father, whose will He had come to accomplish. Nothing touched Him without His Father's permissions. Nothing touches me without my Father's permission."

"Never mind whether things come from God Himself or from people-- everything comes by His ordination or permission. If I mean to be obedient and submissive to the Lord because He is my Lord, I must not forget that whatever He allow to happen becomes, for me, His will at that moment. Perhaps it is someone else's sinful action, but if God allows it to affect me, He wills it for my learning."

~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday we went with our sweet friends to select and cut our Christmas tree. We've done this together for several years now, and it has become a special tradition. Because of the climate here, the trees we cut are not the beautiful Noble Firs we could buy at Home Depot or wherever, but I love their uniqueness and the fact that they are truly fresh. Our house will smell so good!





Michael made the first cut.



Olivia took a turn sawing with Jon's help.


It's almost funny that we can't do anything without somebody getting hurt nowadays. I considered blogging about all the recent injuries we've had around here, but it just seemed unseasonal! Nonetheless, the saw drew blood.



Olivia had such a sweet time with her friends. She had begun to feel ill, but we thought it was a result of the car ride. Today she hasn't gotten out of bed even once.



We always bring hot cocoa and cookies to be enjoyed after the tree is cut. Fun times!


Jon looked like a walking tree!


With all the craziness and good times this season brings, I want to purpose to focus on the Lord. Sometimes we can get swept up with decorating, shopping, family traditions, Christmas concerts and church events, hosting and entertaining, etc. that we focus on (dare I say worship?!) the season rather than the Lord. May it not be!

Lord, incline my heart to You.

~Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...