Thursday, December 30, 2010

Last Thoughts

I'm sitting here eating the last few pieces of black licorice that Jon bought for my stocking (but forgot to put it in). Until now I thought I was the only one in this household who appreciated a good piece of black licorice, but it turns out that the little boys have developed a liking for the stuff, too. Andrew asked me if he could have some of his own, so I gave him some in a little baggie to keep in the pantry.

Michael caught his first bird today. He cornered it in the old coop and caught it with his hands, just like Olivia taught him! Earlier at lunch, Jacob said, "When I am a grown up, like about 24, I will buy a pigeon." OK.

This past week has been lovely. We're together and I love that. Olivia finished knitting her pink scarf a couple days ago, so today we picked out some new yarn and spent the afternoon working on some scarves while the boys rode their bikes. Olivia picked a deep raspberry red and I chose a muti-shade of gray. Tonight we watched Because of Winn-Dixie and I baked one last batch of gingerbread cookies.

The kids and I were a little sad taking down the tree yesterday and packing away the decorations. Our tree was still pretty fresh and I savored a few last whiffs of piney air as Jon hauled it away. More than any other year I can remember, I am wishing for a little more Christmas.

Jacob reminded me several times last week that "we love Jesus because He first loved us." We had most of these discussions in the bathroom as I bathed him or helped him with other needs. A lot of our better conversations are in the bathroom, actually. I'm glad this truth made an impression on him, and I am thankful for the thoughts it stirred in my heart. Yes, without God making the first move my heart would still be dark and I would still be living as His enemy. But not only did He first love me, He also died for me and gave me the gift of faith. And He keeps me and nothing can touch me outside of His will. Wow! Simply amazing!

My favorite memory this Christmas was watching my kids open their presents and seeing them play together for hours. They are so thankful with whatever Jon and I get for them, and no one has ever hinted at disappointment over not getting something they were hoping for. I also enjoyed spending time with our sweet family of neighbors... what a blessing they are to us!

In this set of pictures I love Jon's happiness over Jacob's new toy riffle, and how Jacob is just beaming over this new possession. This gift was actually for "Black Rogers." This is the name Jacob recently gave himself and requested we use it.





A new year is just around the corner and I wonder what changes, joys, and trials it will bring. The years are passing quickly and I don't want to forget how the Lord has blessed us and how He is working in my heart. I don't want to let time slip by without devoting myself to doing the things that have eternal value.






 "So teach us to number our days,
         That we may present to You a heart of wisdom. 
    Let Your work appear to Your servants
         And Your majesty to their children. 
    Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us;
         And confirm for us the work of our hands;
         Yes, confirm the work of our hands."   Ps. 90:12,16-17

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...