Saturday, June 6, 2020

Who's ready for summer?

I spent some time cleaning out our bunkhouse this afternoon as a way to bring in summer. We’re hoping for a bunch of sleepovers like summers past, possibly even with cousins this year. Who really knows? All of our summer plans are being made with open hands.

Jacob is my last and only homeschool student; we wrapped up the year a bit early as usual. The two of us celebrated together one day late last month by heading up the coast for some early morning exploration. It didn't bother us one bit that the marine layer loomed heavily over us all day. He's the sweetest guy to hang with.

At this point, all my kids are finally done with academics for the 2019-20 school year. It was an anticlimactic ending to the oddest year ever. But YAY! Welcome summer! 



Exploring a new-to-us beach


Clear water and tide pools


His face when I asked him how he felt about school ending...
He looks so much like my youngest brother to me in this shot.


















We'll look back one day with the same face when we remember the bandanas for masks and the weird ending to our school year. I hope we will carry with us some fond memories through it all.


In keeping with the year’s theme, another twist of events has reduced our mobility to get out and play: I took Jacob into the orthopedic clinic of our children’s hospital and we left with a knee brace, crutches, and an x-ray image showing the consequences of an active boy outdoing his growing bones.

The beaches are loosening their restrictions bit by bit. My favorite swimwear for the season is ready for hot days coming next week. I’ll have my little buddy with me on the sidelines for a couple weeks, but fortunately swimming is not weight-bearing so he’ll be out riding the waves in no time. Also fortunately for him, this mom is going to be like a drill sergeant with rehab exercises! ;)

~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...