Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Resolved to be at Peace

When the pictures from the sky jump place arrived in my email inbox, this is the image that made me pause and smile the longest. This picture represents a feat I am very proud of, even more than jumping out of a plane in mid-air. (Is it arrogant to express pride, or can it be appropriate to rejoice over personal achievements and progress? I choose the latter because I truly am grateful.)


Let me just reiterate that fear had replaced all interest in jumping after I'd been gifted a ticket to the skydive place.

This moment right here was what I had to consciously and consistently set aside as I anticipated the jump. This moment represented the final and hardest act of resolve. I knew that to scoot my body to the edge of the plane, to sit with legs dangling and body ready to drop, and to do it willingly, would be the single most difficult moment. What came after (falling) was more passive in terms of resolve, and active only in choosing to take in the experience. I didn't allow fear to rule me in the days leading up to our jump, or while preparing on the ground, or during the 20 minute flight up. One single flinch in this resolve and I would have changed my mind in an instant. I'm so thankful I didn't!

Instead, when fear was menacing and threatened to dominate, I was resolute and at peace. I'm proud of jumping, yes, but more so that inner peace conquered over the tyrant of fear.

I'm not naturally a strong person, but when strength of any sort comes, truly, I am humbly grateful. Self-control is both practiced and received as a gift (Gal. 5:22-23). There are so many ways that implementing self-control is needful in my life. Determined self-control or resolve to do difficult things are persistently needed. For instance, resolve...

To take the first steps of a 15 mile run, or to run to the bitter end
To accept an invitation to speak
To let a child grow into independence, to let them risk, or even fail
To accept the unexpected
To attend an event where people who are cold to us are present
To try something new and difficult, to grow
To say hard but needful things
To be a participant and to contribute, to make myself vulnerable; or
To be guarded, to discern, to draw boundaries
To accept not being understood
To break the mold of expectations, to be unashamedly human, to disappoint
To accept my lot (portion), to live open handedly
To remember hardship, to feel and acknowledge, to move on
To let go what cannot be changed
To serve while being treated as a servant, and to continue serving
To love despite cost
To see past this temporal life
To plead for an outcome, then to wholeheartedly trust God

To be at peace in any storm. And to smile.

>:<

We are urged to "be filled with the Spirit" by the very same Spirit of God who commands, "Peace, be still!" 

I want it fiercely.

Who cares about a dumb picture and about self-imposed thrills? Who cares about practicing mind games to conquer fear if it's all just selfish and temporal?

I want something deeper.

"The peace that passes understanding will guard your heart in Christ Jesus." That's what I want! How do we find this peace? Because "The Lord is at hand" right here, right now, inviting us into relationship and intimate conversation: "In everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Then He comforts our anxieties and quiets us with his love. (Phil. 4)

Set your heart resolutely on Christ who said: "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you." 
(John 14:27)


~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...