Monday, July 1, 2019

The Hope of Change

Summer Monday mornings are glorious. After a busy week, then a busy weekend, and another busy week ahead, Mondays still seem fabulous when it's summer. Busy, busy, busy... blah, blah, blah, but I'm bringing on Monday with gusto! I woke early to take Andrew to his Junior Guards competition day, and my brain struggled to cope for the better part of an hour. It's the 1st of July and June Gloom appears to be working overtime. No matter: I put on a pretty blouse, some dangly earrings, and wedge sandals, and I loaded a few books and journals into the backseat in anticipation of some quiet time in a bustling coffee shop. 

My mind is nearly always bursting with things to write: events to record, lessons worth transcribing, thoughts needing systematic processing through writing, items of thanksgiving and praise, or observations made (practices to emulate or avoid). I've said it many times before, though, that a household of nearly 4 teens doesn't lend itself well to sitting and writing. 

Times are ever changing.

Of the many things I want to embrace, change is high on the list. Embrace change. May we ever be in a state of transition, always learning and improving, always moving forward, always growing in Christ-likeness. In a universe slowly and steadily swirling to its final doom, stunted growth and stagnation ought to be repulsive. In fact, if we settle for the comfort of what is familiar, we only willingly give in to a state decline. And we slowly rot. Decline is a rule of life, a scientific reality, and the promise of the curse. 

But we get to HOPE for change, betterment, growth, and advancement. Everyday, strive for newness of life deep in the soul through the power of Christ.


Transition is defined as the process or period of changing from one state or condition to another.

Transitions are defining this period of life in my home. Kids are transitioning to teens, teens are transitioning to adulthood, and parents are scrambling to make appropriate adjustments with some semblance of finesse. There is an ever-present undertone of redefinition as old ways of life are passing and new realities emerge. We learn to let go of what was, and learn to embrace what is.

I must keep learning to let go without too much mourning and intentionally smile at the newness of 'now.' Is it typical for a mother to grieve a little behind the smile? Yes, but we must learn to embrace all the gifts-- the ones passing behind us and the ones coming before us. We must be equally willing to let go as we are willing to receive.

This is the summer for embracing all kinds of good things. And some hard things. A pep-talk like this is not out of the blue for me!

>>:<<


Pictures from our spring break trip in April in Arizona~


Monster lizard hunting









My two older boys and I finished the hike alone, while the other half of the family found the strain of an upward climb in the desert heat to be too much. It turned out that they were the first of the family to succumb to a virus, which we all shared by the end of the week.


Why not. (This is a statement, not a question.) 
Live freely.


Physical stagnation led to decline, so I'm working hard to reverse immobility and weakness of the spine and shoulders. Last year I discovered it was a struggle to merely curve far enough to lift myself off the ground. It couldn't be described as a 'backbend!' The embarrassment was nearly enough to keep me from continuously trying. But slow and steady progress is the goal, and consistency is key. In this case, backwards progress is thrilling!


I got carried away, but my boys are good sports. Shoulder flexion needs improving, as does core strength, but I'm making progress! That's all I can hope for.




>>:<<

The day has nearly past and I'm resting now from my work. I hosted a dinner meeting at my house; since I'm not taking part in the meeting itself, the kitchen is already clean and the day is ready to repeat again tomorrow. Tomorrow, however, we will host a pool party for the youth group. It's going to be loud and messy and wonderful!

I close the day remembering that only Christ gives life. He alone brings true change, the kind of change that truly matters and ultimately allows us to influence others for eternity. He alone is the reason we can hope. So we pray for the salvation of loved ones and for our sanctification in the face of sin and death. He is at work bringing change in me, making me more like Him day by day. 

Aren't you glad we are not stuck here?! What a relief. 

"And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit." 
2 Cor. 3:18


~Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...