Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Lifelong Resolution

New Year's Day 2019~


Someone was in a silly mood...



Only in California can you go from temperate coastal to snowy mountain pass to arid desert, all in a relatively short car ride.



Our car rides are interrupted by car sickness and other needs...


We never regret venturing off the main drag...




Not exactly mountain climbing boots.



Jack was the sick one this time. Thumbs up for feeling better.




The Salton Sea~


Otherworldly.


Abandoned.


Desolate.


Ghostly.


And a sort of playground for the imagination...








King of a bygone trophy.


>:<

It's raining tonight. The sound in our quiet house is soothing, but I'm so, so cold. Something happened to me here in California and I don't do cold very well anymore.

I've got two kids at youth group, one upstairs studying for a final tomorrow, one in Canada, and Jon is clear across the country. With the rain and the quiet, it seems a perfect time to write out a few words. I guess the blog will live to grow by one more post. You never know these days.

Resolutions. Do people actually make and keep resolutions? I wonder what are the actual stats. I'm all for resolutions as long as they are uncomplicated, specific, and very flexible. I thought about resolutions in December, and even implemented one that I thought would be good. I figured I may as well get warmed up so that by January I'd be all set to go. My culinary resolution this year is to try a new dish each week that incorporates a new method, ingredient, or flavor combination. I've been in a rut and I want to up my culinary game a bit. Other resolutions implemented before January include simple core strength training every day and daily words of affirmation spoken to loved ones.

According to Google, a resolution is a firm decision to do or not to do something. I thought about all the normal resolutions people make, even considered some pretty strict promises myself: daily exercise, zero refined sugar for a year, sex every day, 365 photo project... I'm really curious to know what would happen (if only I could keep such promises) because there's almost always a ripple effect to our big commitments.

In the end, though, I think resolutions miss the point. Strict rules kill the joy of the process. Rules are burdensome and take away from the sincerity and purpose of the act.

I far prefer lifestyle choices over resolutions. That's what works for me. I typically have very specific goals I am working on in order to build upon a lifestyle choice. I envision something that is difficult to attain (outside of my present ability, reality, or comfort zone) and decide on manageable goals to integrate into my routine. Once those goals are reached or part of my normal rhythm, I add to them. This seems far more manageable to me than a strict resolution, and I don't have to wait till January to begin!

Aside from resolutions, lifestyle choices, and goals, there was a passage that stood out to me around the time the new year began. It comes from Romans 4:20 where Paul describes Abraham's faith. I adapted the pronouns when I wrote out the verse in my journal for the opening up of 2019~

"But she grew strong in her faith as she gave glory to God,
fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised."

May this be said of me some day. It's my lifelong resolution and my daily prayer. My faith will increase as a fruit of his Spirit while I give glory to God with resolve, intentionality, and increased skill and comfort. There is both a discipline of my mind, heart, words, and actions in glorifying God, AND a work that God does within my heart despite me. My giving glory to him will be the visible representation of my faith in God to do what he has promised: He will be unmistakably God, King of kings, steadfast in character, true to his word, ever loving and merciful to me till the end.

We are told to "Draw near to God and he will draw near to us." This speaks of partnership. I cannot ask God to increase my faith while I stand back and do nothing. (In the same way, I can't expect God to work the magic of cellular change within my body which result in better health and physical strength if I sit back and do nothing.) There is partnership, dual responsibility and promise keeping.

In this partnership, I find God to be the God of relationship. That's pretty magnificent... and worthy of praise! Imagine that! Relationship with God! May I be proclaiming his unfathomable goodness all of my days!

~Katherine

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...