Monday, November 5, 2018

Chasing

It's warm here in this corner of the world, and not at all like the cold, damp wind my mother described this past weekend, or the frost and sleet I normally associate with November. I've lived in southern California a good long time now, but the warm November temps still catch me off guard. I kinda love this weather, even though I can't figure out how to incorporated fall decor when my backyard rose bushes are producing such lovely pink blossoms. I'm clipping them daily and bringing them in because they are far prettier to me than orange gourds. I should have worn a summer dress today.

Saturday night was unusually foggy, though. I really loved it. It was well into the evening before I was able to head out for my Saturday run. Saturday runs are almost non-negotiable in my mind, but since it was late I had decided on a shorter run than planned. But the ocean spray, dark and misty air, and silent plumes of fog wafting passed me were just too alluring. I kept on running, hardly mindful of the fact that wherever I stopped to turn around would only mark the halfway point. I arrived home all wobbly-legged over two hours later, satisfied. I had chased fitness goals, mental clarity, and peace on a foggy night.

Jon had a fire crackling when I came in. I don't know, but maybe the fog and the fire cast a romantic spell on us; we entirely lost that supposed "extra hour of sleep" of November time change.

Marriage has proven to be hard. We were warned like all couples are warned, and then we learned from experience. We've also learned to persevere, to keep pressing into our relationship. In a rush to get out one evening last week, we had packed a selection of cheese, cured meats, crackers, fruit, and nuts from the kitchen, along with a blanket. Jon sped down the freeway in his GTI like a 19 year-old punk. At age 40 I should be afraid of such driving, but speed really doesn't faze me. We were chasing the sunset, chasing romance. We found our sunset, then later a spot on the crest of the cliff to set up our little dinner under the darkening sky. If you had been watching us, you wouldn't have seen us smiling much. Life isn't like the movies, but it can be so, so sweet nonetheless.

Press into it. Chase after the good stuff with intention and perseverance. And maybe try to kiss a lot.

San Francisco 7/2018


~Katherine


2 comments:

  1. Hi Katherine,
    It's so nice to read a little bit about your life. My husband and I were at the retreat Pastor Jon spoke at recently. I don't know if he mentioned our girls but they were clinging to him all throughout the retreat. Anyways, it was so great to have him there and I'd love to find out a little more about your experiences with homeschooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa~ Jon did tell me about your sweet family when he returned! He had a great time with your church family and loved visiting the area.

      I don't feel like a homeschool expert at all, but I do have 12 years of experience. I did traditional home school until my eldest reached high school (filed an affidavit each year, and some years minimally participated in co-ops). After that, we enrolled in a local charter school that allows us to tailor-make an educational plan for each child. Currently, I homeschool my younger two boys (grades 6 and 8); we use the charter school for a partial day of electives each week, and a couple online classes for jr. high. My high school aged kids do a combo of traditional classes (through the charter school), independent study/homeschool, and community college. What I've appreciated the most is being able to meet the needs of each child. I do miss the little years and the flexibility we enjoyed. However, if I could go back, I would not stress as much over academic perfection and enjoy the process and freedom a little more. I had no base of comparison, so I think I overdid a lot of things to be on the safe side! Enjoy the little years...they pass far too quickly and learning comes in many more ways than just books and assignments!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...