Friday, June 27, 2014

Refreshment in the Desert

I've wanted to blog more this month, but for some reason my heart hasn't been in it. It's like I don't have a desire to say much because what I have been living and learning is still being sorted out in my heart before the Lord. Sometimes I feel that the most interesting parts of my life are lived out in the secret place of relationship with God. It's like what happens in my life and with the relationships closest to me are simply the effects of what God has purposed for me. His unfolding plan for my life, along with the circumstances, relationships, and all the varied details, are secondary to what He is doing for His Kingdom. He is sanctifying me for His glory and my good. And through it all, my desire is simply to love Him above all, and to love those around me.

But regardless of my disinterest in writing here, we have been enjoying the summer and keeping busy with a lovely mix of activity. Late last week we drove out to Arizona for a conference that lasted through the weekend and early into this week . It was a wonderful and refreshing time; my soul was fed and encouraged through the preaching of God's Word, and we had the pleasure of catching up with several old friends.

Arizona in June is dreadfully hot. I am decidedly not made for the heat, and I avoided being outside any more than I needed to be. I thought there would be many interesting things to photograph, but I didn't explore much and hardly took any pictures except for a few from the car on our way home.

One night well passed midnight, as Jon studied/reviewed to preach the next morning, I experimented with my camera a bit in the reflection of our hotel room window. We had a great view from the 19th floor, the city lights twinkling below and beyond.


5:30 sunrise the next morning...


My kids sat through many a session. They did great. It was especially hard for the younger two who couldn't quite follow along, session after session. By Sunday, Jack was wiped out and unintentionally fell asleep just before dinner...




The topography from the desert to the coast changed with rapid succession as we travelled the freeway. There are so may types of deserts, many of which we didn't slow down to capture. Hardly did we ever find a place to pull over between the tiny desolate towns, except for this one spot just in time for car sickness to overwhelm one of the boys.



Do all boys automatically turn sticks into guns? I'd guess that most do.







My kids would have loved to run up a dune, but the only place to stop was a rest stop between the freeway lanes. 


Pictures from the car window. Jon slowed down as much as possible.





"Behold, God is my salvation;
I will trust, and not be afraid; 
for the Lord God is my strength and my song,
and he has become my salvation."

With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation...

Is. 12: 2-3

After we had arrived home, unpacked the car, grabbed a bite to eat, and tucked the kids in for the night, Jon and I laced up and walked straight to the ocean. Ah, it felt good to be home. 


~Katherine



2 comments:

  1. your first paragraph sums up feelings I have often. my sis said she was able to see you and chat at the conference...i was a little jealous:) glad it was a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! It was fun catching up with your sister (my kids loved playing with Dan, too). I hope you are having a nice summer.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...