Monday, August 27, 2012

More than the sand...


Psalm 139:17-18

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.


Psalm 139 has long been a favorite of mine. It is good to be reminded of God's love for me-- His love for me personally, and His presence with me continually. He knows me perfectly and yet still loves me.

Yesterday was Sunday, and since Andrew still hadn't recovered from last week's illness enough to be in close contact with other kids at church, he and I stayed home. When I first had the idea to spend the morning with him at the beach, I felt like that might be a little wrong; as if missing church and enjoying one's self cannot rightly coexist. But no, it was the perfect place to be. We basked in the warmth of the sun and enjoyed God 's goodness all around us. The ocean breeze was soothing to Andrew's hoarse throat and the time alone with my little boy was received as a gift.

Providentially, Psalm 139 was the text for the Sunday night service, and the text I've chosen to meditate upon this week. 

My constant prayer this summer, as I tested my motives and searched my intentions with regard to some particular desires, was simply this:

"Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!"

Ps. 139: 23-24

He is good to answer me-- to bring clarity and deeper resolve-- and then to lead me onward. Yes Lord, lead me in the way everlasting...


~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...