Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Me and My Girl

I've slowly made my way through a book on mothers and daughters. I say slow because I have several books on the go, and more accurately, because reading puts me to sleep. It must be the anemia. Or a little brain. Still, it has been a helpful read because I'm always eager to refine my mothering approach, to think through issues more clearly, and to consider where I may have blind spots. I've read this book before, the first time when Olivia was maybe six, and at that time I felt like the task of parenting a daughter was so daunting.

And it is.

Yet as I made my way through this book a second time, grateful for all the reminders and encouragement, the information this time around is in accordance with where I stand and with what I believe. I think I get the concepts now.

Not that I have this mothering thing down-- Not in the least! The whole idea that I am responsible to teach and train and mold a person with an immortal soul is enough for me to throw up my hands and exclaim that it's a task far too great for me. But I think over time --as I learn what it means to walk in the Spirit, as I study God's Word, and observe and learn from godly women--  I have begun to believe that I am actually able to do this thing. Certainly not by my strength, but through the Power that is in me.


It's not always easy. I guess no relationship is always easy, and my relationship with my children is constantly in the process of change. How we relate to each other now is very different than when they were babies, and how we will relate to each other in another five and ten years will be very different from the present. Relationships can be hard, but especially so when you add the reality of parental responsibility.

A mother and daughter relationship is a precious thing. I pray for her, for me, for my example to her, for our friendship. I pray that she won't see my weaknesses and failures as reasons to resent my words, but that she and I together may recognize our great need for the Lord.

I am thankful for this sweet girl that is mine for a time. I am thankful for the women in my life, and women who have lived openly and allowed me to observe and learn. I am thankful for sound teaching. Thankful for God's promises and strength for each day, for His mercies that never end. I am thankful that He meets me where I am weakest.


~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm holding down the fort a little more on my own this week because Jon has several late nights and out of town commitments. It's a full week, but not crazy. Things are back in full swing, I'm helping with an up-coming event at church, and we've got friends coming to visit. I've finally found a new orthodontist and dentist, so we've got some appointments lined up this week as well. I'm just glad I'm no longer driving 5 hours each time someone has to see the orthodontist.

Jon just sent me a text to say that he's on train headed home. I am sitting in a Starbucks while the kids are at Awana, in a corner seat with a hot latte. It's nice and so very rare. As much as I enjoy these moments, my thoughts always return back to Jon and the kids.

My life is so very blessed because of them.


~Katherine


3 comments:

  1. Parenting has been so challenging for me lately. I feel at a loss as what to do often. This was encouraging to read. Do you mind sharing the book you read?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica~ The book is "Girl Talk" by Carolyn Mahaney and her daughter Nicole Whitacre. There's also lots of good stuff on their website/blog.

    When you don't know what to do, take it to the Lord. Parenting toddlers is hard because it can take a long time to see results, and because of that we often doubt that we're doing the right thing.

    "As for you, (sister), do not grow weary in doing good." 2 Thes.3:13

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, this post is so very precious. I am also so thankful for the three daughters that the Lord has given to me... especially since I did not have any sisters :-). It is also interesting to my that the Lord gives us daughters who are our opposites... talk about sanctification!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...