Wednesday, November 23, 2011

What He Said, and Injuries

"Andrew, you should give me some of your (tooth fairy) money because I made your tooth come out."


With all the boyishness around here, I've stored band-aids at convenient locations for years. I've got some in the basket of first aid items, there are some in the glove compartment of the car, in my purse, and in a drawer by the door. Oh, and more in various hiking packs and picnic baskets.

Yesterday was my turn to endure a slice taken from my finger tip, thanks to a kitchen appliance and my carelessness. Olivia ran for the band-aids while the little boys thought they should cover me in blankets. So sweet of them to care for me in there own way...

About half an hour later I heard Andrew and Jacob screaming (I mean SCREAMING) as they ran from their upstairs bedroom. I was expecting to see something horrid, like an eyeball hanging from its socket, so when I figured out what was going on I was quite relieved. Actually I was a little amused even if this episode was the result of anger.

They had been wrestling, of course, because that's what they love to do for fun. Andrew got a little too rough, so Jacob punched him in the face. Yes, and he knocked out Andrew's tooth.

So there they sat, both on my lap, crying crocodile tears from the pain of their injuries and from the shock of what took place. This was a first in our home, and they each felt so badly. Andrew was so forgiving, even making excuses for Jacob's behavior, and Jacob felt so guilty. Olivia placed a band-aid on Jacob's knuckle, and I held a cold cloth against Andrew's bloody lip and mouth.

Today they were ultra affectionate with each other, with random hugs and I-love-you's. Boys have such uncomplicated relationships with each other, and I love it.

Andrew's mouth now matches the dark purple bruise across his cheek from falling against the bathroom counter the other day, and he has that adorable sloshy way of talking again.

It is what it is, this deal of raising boys. What can I say? Sometimes I'm just glad for natural consequences.


~Katherine


1 comment:

  1. I so enjoy your blog.
    I feel like it gives me a tiny view into your lives.I enjoy hearing about the experiences and activities you are having as a family.Miss being a part of them and so looking forward to some family time next month.Love you all.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...