Monday, June 13, 2011

Our greatest need and undeserved blessing

Some flowers from one brother to a sister. He said, "I wish I could marry Olivia when I grow up. Too bad God says you can't marry someone in your family." 

He just melts me.


My flower came from another boy and I'm not even sure which one. I heard the door open then immediately slam. This flower was left for me on the floor. I'm glad he thought of me, whoever he was, while he was out at play.


Here's what I read early this sleepy Monday morning, and I was glad for it. It's my great desire, my pursuit.

“When the abiding in Christ becomes close and unbroken, so that the soul lives from moment to moment in the perfect union with the Lord its keeper, He does, indeed, keep down the power of the old nature, so that it does not regain dominion over the soul. We have seen that there are degrees in the abiding. With most Christians the abiding is so feeble and intermittent, that sin continually obtains the ascendency, and brings the soul into subjection. The Divine promise given to faith is, ‘Sin shall not have dominion over you.’ But with the promise is the command, ‘Let not sin reign in your mortal body.’ The believer who claims the promise in full faith has the power to obey the command, and sin is kept from asserting its supremacy. Ignorance of the promise, or unbelief, or unwatchfulness, opens the door for sin to reign. And so the life of many believers is a course of continual stumbling and sinning. But when the believer seeks full admission into, and a permanent abode in Jesus, the Sinless One, then the life of Christ keeps from actual transgression. ‘In Him is no sin. He that abideth in Him sinneth not.’ Jesus does indeed save him from his sin—not by the removal of his sinful nature, but by keeping him from yielding to it….

The evil nature, the flesh is unchanged in its enmity against God, but the abiding presence of Jesus keeps it down. In faith the believer entrusts himself to the keeping, to the indwelling, of the Son of God; he abides in Him, and counts on Jesus to abide in Him, too. The union and fellowship is the secret of a holy life.”

Andrew Murray

Abide In Christ, 201-203

Psalm 5:1-3

"Give ear to my words, O Lord;
consider my groaning.
Give attention to the sound of my cry,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.
O Lord, in the morning you hear my voice;
in the morning I prepare a sacrifice for you and watch."

My prayer today is that my sacrifices would be of love and devotion to my God, and that by His power I would love those around me selflessly. It is such a wonder that I would be invited to abide in Him; I pray that I would entrust myself to his keeping, and that by the power of His indwelling Spirit I would have victory over sin. It is my greatest need and undeserved blessing to have perfect union with him, moment by moment.


~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...