Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Our future is not to be feared

Since the Fall there has been tragedy because it's part of the curse. No one has lived untouched, unscarred. Recently, news from around the world has been devastating. There is unimaginable loss, wars, uncertainty, pain, suffering, disaster. Many are confused and gripped by fear and the future looks grim and hopeless.

Yet for those who are in Christ, our outlook is not so because we know that the heavens and the earth are not permitted by God to go its own way.World powers are not permitted to go their own way and neither are the invisible thrones and dominions. Colossians 1: 16-17 says, "For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together."

Sunday I was reminded of these truths and my thoughts were redirected to focus on the things above rather than to fear the future because it is secure in Christ. Such comfort. My life is hidden in Him and I am safe. No matter what happens around me or to this dying body of mine.

2 Peter 3 reminds us to be diligent in readiness for the day of the Lord, and we do this by faith and righteous conduct. Furthermore, in the midst of suffering and of fear which surrounds us, we have the distinct privilege to be light and salt in this very lost world.

...Lord, strengthen me and enable me to live in faith and obedience, with joy and thanksgiving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've had some wacky weather here, with more in the forecast. Today, however, was beautiful and green and fresh. The children played outside while I cooked and baked, watching their play from the window. It all seemed so peaceful to me.

Sunday was crazy! The only way for the kids and me to get into our car after church was to walk through water up to my ankles... and I was wearing a 3 1/2 heel! This was traumatic to some of my kids... Olivia was especially worried that the wind would pick her up Mary Poppin style when she held the umbrella while I carried the little boys.

Later, on our way back for the evening service, we had to make a detour because a telephone pole had fallen across the street. Our trip home was even more exciting... cars were stalled in the intersection we crossed because the water was too deep. We watched a man walk from his car in knee-deep water. Thankfully, we made it through just fine in our bigger car. I watched the two pickup trucks in front of me make it through, and I chose to follow rather than back up on a four lane boulevard.

That evening, Jon's plane was the first to land in several hours. I was so glad he didn't stay stuck in the airport, and especially glad to be with him again!

But if that wasn't enough, later in the night a mid-size pine tree came down next to the house. Fortunately, it did not hit any structure and missed the wall by Michael's bed by several feet. Only my rose bushes suffered.

Yesterday we had showers, hail, then sunshine causing steam to rise off the shingles, and then rain once again.

Fun times for people who hardly get weather!

(Riding on a trolly on a beautiful, care-free day...)



"Because Your steadfast love is better than life, my lips will praise you." Psalm 63:3


Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...