Thursday, September 12, 2019

Every Detail Ordained

Many hours were spent at the beach this summer with these two boys of mine. The beach calls our names. If I couldn't take Andrew, he would unicycle with a board on his head, attracting all kinds of attention from passing motorists. On those days I'd end up making a stop to find him between errands and chores. I'd sit on a rock to watch for a few moments.










>>:<<

I have some unexpected time to kill. Due to several flight delays, Jacob and I missed our connection and spent a few hours of sleep in Michigan. (In bed after 2 a.m.,  I can't exactly say we spent the "night.") Our luggage was also misdirected, and my credit card was used fraudulently. Fun times. Oh, but we did fly through a lightning storm, and that was pretty spectacular to watch from the plane window.

Anyway, we've got some time now as we wait for our next flight. We finally had a bite to eat, and I'm hoping this cup of coffee will work some magic soon.

>:<


"Days Ordained" has been sort of a theme of my life. I don't mean this blog, of course, even though it is an expression of this persistent theme. The knowledge of God's sovereignty as it intimately relates to the big and not-so-big details of my life has been a comfort and an incitement to live in acceptance with peace.

I have also bucked beneath the truth that all my days are intentionally ordained. Some details I wish were not as they are. I have often protested and failed to embrace the reality of God's care for me through the intentional details and circumstances (and not just despite those details). I am ever learning. I am learning to be his child, learning to be still, even content. Perhaps one day I will even attain to gratefulness for some of the more difficult aspects of my life through his transforming power.

Psalm 131:2 comes to mind: "But I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content." This is a picture of calm assurance in God's care, and confidence in his love and provision to me, his child.

And as a child of the almighty God, I get to cling to him daily. The beautiful thing is that it is not my grip on him that even matters most, because he is the one who holds me securely in a grip that cannot fail. I picture myself regularly as a little girl whose hand is held by a strong Father-Warrior (a physical form my mind cannot imagine). He leads as I stumble along, my little legs flailing about to keep up. I may stumble regularly, but he will never, ever let me fall headlong. I am right to keep that mental picture: "The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand."  Ps. 37:23-24

There is a hymn that has brought much comfort to Jon and I over the past several month as we've journeyed along life and ministry. I listened to it on repeat yesterday as I journeyed through skies of fiery, lightning-lit clouds. Truth grounds us, not matter where we are and what we face. We can hold fast to truth because upholding it is a Father who cannot fail.

(Click to listen. This version is particularly sweet to us because it is led by a friend who has walked with us through some of life's hardships.)


Whate'er my God ordains is right:
his holy will abideth;
I will be still, whate'er he doth,
and follow where he guideth.
He is my God; though dark my road,
he holds me that I shall not fall:
and so to him I leave it all.

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
he never will deceive me;
he leads me by the proper path;
I know he will not leave me.
I take, content, what he hath sent;
his hand can turn my griefs away,
and patiently I wait his day.

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
though now this cup, in drinking,
may bitter seem to my faint heart,
I take it, all unshrinking.
My God is true; each morn anew
sweet comfort yet shall fill my heart,
and pain and sorrow shall depart.

Whate'er my God ordains is right:
here shall my stand be taken;
though sorrow, need, or death be mine,
yet am I not forsaken.
My Father's care is round me there;
he holds me that I shall not fall:
and so to him I leave it all.



~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...