Saturday, September 17, 2016

Happy Saturday

It's Saturday, finally.

We past our third week of school, and the dust is finally settling. It seems that all the pieces are fitting together well, and we are pleased with how our schedule worked out.

But it's Saturday, and I'm really appreciating it. My alarm went off this morning and I was so confused as to what day it was and what I was supposed to be doing. I fell back asleep. Lucky for me it is Saturday, because I slept deep and hard and much too long.

I was driving home from Trader Joe's about an hour ago with Jacob and Andrew, our windows were down, and the air was perfect. One of the boys said, "I don't know why, but I'm just really happy today!" We each agreed. Sometimes that feeling comes - that fickle and fleeting feeling of happiness - and it's so good to stop and acknowledge it. Joy is possible in all circumstances, but the merry feeling of happiness is just so pleasant. It's a gift I am thankful for today.

Jacob and Andrew are now up in the tree having a snack. I just heard Andrew offer Jon help with some exterior repair work, which encouraged my heart!! Olivia and Michael are spending the afternoon at church: Michael has been given the opportunity to help set up sound for Sunday service, and Olivia gets to learn and practice playing the base with the band. They are both eager to learn and participate, which also encourages me! Jon is also learning something new (and saving us some dollars). He is learning how to repair a pool pump. He always models a good attitude of learning and working that I hope will someday inspire our children to great productivity.

Tomorrow afternoon I get to host a meeting for the staff of our youth group. I am so thankful for the work they do each week, and thankful for the impact they are having on my kids. I always look forward to hearing how things are going within the group and to think through ways Jon and I can support them. In addition, I enjoy figuring out simple ways to provide refreshments and to make a pretty table arrangement with what's already available to me from our home and yard. It's an enjoyable challenge in resourcefulness and creativity.

Since I'm really appreciating Saturday right now, I thought I'd post some pictures from recent Saturdays around here...



Andrew made a sort of zip line with ropes and some pulleys. His initial design required someone to stand in the bucket while the rider takes a turn on the zip line!




The coffee sack pillow covers I made a few years ago for the school room chairs have served us well, but three of the four started falling apart. I used some no-longer-needed Ikea curtain panels to make new covers. This is the extent of my sewing skills...



I made an extra cover for Olivia, and she added some pretty embellishments taken from an old article of clothing...



Jacob invaded my work space with his Legos...






From my work space at the table, I snapped this shot of Michael cleaning our windows.


One of the boys decided to bunch all my pins in one area. Who knows why boys do the things they do! Some of those pins are the old lead tipped pins from my great-aunt. She was a nun, and she wore a wedding ring because she was "married to Jesus!" That was humorous to me even as a child.


This was Jacob this morning, watering his growing collection of succulents and cacti. It's such a cute little hobby!



I hope you've enjoyed you Saturday!

~Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...