Thursday, February 4, 2016

He waits to open His treasury

I read this at the start of the day and thought, "Yes!" I want all the Spirit's precious gifts in my life! I must have them to survive! But I also remember that prayer doesn't come naturally to the immature Christian. As I've done many times in my life, I have confessed to the Lord my lack to desire for prayer. I've asked him over and over again for relationship with him, true and personal. He is faithful: "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." (James 4:8)

"Prayer is the life-breath of a man's soul. Without it, we may have a name to live, and be counted Christians; but we are dead in the sight of God. The feeling that we must cry to God for mercy and peace is a mark of grace; and the habit of spreading before Him our soul's wants is an evidence that we have the spirit of adoption. And prayer is the appointed way to obtain the relief of our spiritual necessities. It opens the treasury, and sets the fountain flowing. If we have not, it is because we ask not.

"Prayer is the way to procure the outpouring of the Spirit upon our hearts. Jesus has promised the Holy Ghost, the Comforter. He is ready to come down with all His precious gifts, renewing, sanctifying, purifying, strengthening, cheering, encouraging, enlightening, teaching, directing, guiding into all truth. But then He waits to be entreated."


J.C. Ryle,  Thoughts for Young Men,  p. 56-57



~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...