Thursday, March 6, 2014

Snippings and A Motto for Moms


Making things pretty is part of the fun of life, at least in my opinion. Jon and I purchased some dining chairs, thanks to a sale and a generous gift certificate I've held on to just waiting for the right moment. We are still expecting the delivery of two more chairs, but last night was the first time in a long time that each family member had actual chair at dinner time. The table was also a recent purchase-- a farm table I bought off of Craig's List. Most of our furniture have been CL finds. The black buffet was a piece Jon found at a sidewalk sale 8 or 9 years ago.

Olivia and I had the idea of gathering little snippings of the various blossoms around our yard at present. We decorated our dining table just for fun, just for us. The lavender in the center was from Trader Joe's to decorate the table for an evening of cheese tasting last weekend, but everything else was from around the house.













I've found myself taking more every-day type pictures recently. These are from this afternoon while the boys made houses and tanks from the boxes that the chairs were delivered in. The first one was taken before breakfast, the boys being funny little characters.





Above, Jacob is peeking out the window made of plastic wrap and tape. He looks in distress!

Below, Olivia always swinging or climbing in the trees.






>>>:<<<

It's nearing midnight here, and I'm waiting on food to cool before I can store it for the night. We're going to be getting up early tomorrow and starting our school day in earnest. Later in the morning we are heading over to a friend's for brunch, then taking our kids out on a field trip. This kind of stuff makes me so thankful for the way I school my kids.

These late nights are fine with me. It gives me a chance to record the things I need to write for myself; the things I am learning and prone to forget. Here are some words from the first chapter of Nehemiah that have encouraged me to pray in similar fashion:

"O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, let your ear be attentive and your eyes open, to hear the prayer of your servant that I now pray before you day and night..."

"O Lord, let your ear be attentive to the prayer of your servant, and to the prayer of your servants who delight to fear your name, and give success to your servant today, and grant him mercy..."

The second chapter continues with a record of Nehemiah praying and of God putting into His heart a plan and granting him strength and confidence. God was with him and for him in the midst of opposition and difficulty. True and fervent prayer allows us to move forward with confidence and say:

"The God of heaven will make us prosper."

>>:<<

Tomorrow morning, when the alarm sounds earlier than my body wants to respond,  I will lean over to my bedside table and grab my Bible. Just as I have done the last several days, my eyes will turn to this verse, a two-lined motto which fits perfectly during these days of motherhood:

"God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns."

Ps. 46:5

Yes, I know that in context the "she" refers to Israel. But now, in the age of the New Testament, God's Spirit is within each one of His children. And so because of that, because He has personal presence with me, I can have both strength and tranquility at all times. And so I pray for it, and endeavor to hold fast to what God says.


Finally, a prayer as I head up to bed here in a bit (The 'us' inserted as I pray it for my family):


"The Lord bless you (us) and keep you (us);
 the Lord make his face to shine upon you (us) and be gracious to you (us);
 the Lord lift up his countenance upon you (us) and give (us) peace."

Numbers 6:24-26




~Katherine



1 comment:

  1. Your beautiful home is made even more beautiful by your prayers for the people who live inside of it.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...