Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A Simple Prayer

Last night I went to bed late, again. I could hear a strange bird, like a hawk, it's voice authoritatively piercing through the night and into the open window of our bedroom. The night breeze was cool, crisp, and fresh, just like my freshly changed white cotton sheets. I found this scenario to be a perfect one at the end of a long day.

It doesn't normally take me long to fall asleep at night, my thankful prayers to God usually the last thoughts on my mind. In the midst of the busyness there is always that peaceful moment as I fall asleep, quiet and confident in the presence of God.

Then the alarm sounds all the way from across the room. I keep it there so I am forced to get up out of bed and hopefully awaken along the way. Instead I press snooze, almost unconsciously, and slide back into bed. I forget that it's a school morning now, and life must move in accordance to set times. I forget I have bread to kneed, let rise, and bake before breakfast time. I forget that this moment, this early part of the day, is my chance for a quiet moment in the Word before my kids are up and the needs of the day press heavy.

But I sleep, oblivious and content. Gradually my sleep-fog turns back to God, into His presence again. It's my favorite time, when it's just me and Him, and the cares of daily living haven't assaulted me. "Make your face to shine on us," I ask Him. "Cause me to know your ways and to live for your glory. Turn my heart to You; let me love Jon and the kids with Your kind of love. Live in me. Change me."

Then more sleep. Eventually I remember to pray for Jon, who was feeling under the weather last night, and who has a good deal on his plate right now. Then I pray for each of the kids, or at least some of my kids, a little prayer specific to their needs, or as generalities. "Redemption, Lord! Please, make them Your own!"

Then I realize what time it is and begin to remember the needs and schedule of the day. Oh dear! I make a mad dash out from those comfortable sheets and make a run for it.

But that little bit of time, of quietly and confidently asking God for His blessings, stays with me all day. Make Your face to shine upon us! To think that the God of the universe would look upon this family and smile; that He would draw us to Himself with His saving power!

It is my constant prayer.

"May God be gracious to us and bless us
    and make his face to shine upon us,
 that your way may be known on earth,
    your saving power among all nations.
 Let the peoples praise you, O God;
    let all the peoples praise you!"

Ps. 67: 1-3



"Make your face shine upon your servant,
    and teach me your statutes."


Ps. 119: 135

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<


School may have begun, but so has the real summer weather. We haven't given in yet, but the ocean blue seems to be calling us out from our little class room! These shots are from earlier in the summer when the day was grey...



(Here, at the end of a "party wave" when they all ride together.)


~Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...