Friday, February 24, 2012

Orange

I came home from running errands with an idea that inspired me to pick up my camera and search for things to photograph. Occasionally I give myself a little assignment to work with, either to consciously look for the things I am thankful for, or simply to focus on a creative theme. It's just for fun, but in the process I hope to learn a little about my camera and take better pictures. This is what motivated me to look for the color orange...


The color orange has grown on me in recent years. Along with brown, orange was a color I disliked as a kid. Maybe that was because orange medicine always tasted worse than the red or purple kinds, and orange lollipops and popsicles reminded me of the awful orange medicine. Not that I really knew what was cool as a kid (ha! still don't), but I don't remember orange being really fashionable either. Orange and brown together seemed especially crusty.

Now I think the color orange can be pretty stunning. It's fresh and vibrant, and it can look amazing with grays and whites and aquamarine. Still, I don't have very much orange to take pictures of, but here's what I came up with.


My idea of "fast food"~ fresh vegetables and fruit that can be eaten on the go. I've learned that if I leave carrots, sliced peppers, sugar snap peas, or any other fresh veggie on the counter in the afternoon or while I make dinner, my kids will easily eat up an extra serving of veggies or two without noticing. Fresh fruit (like clementines) are the perfect treat. Fostering healthy habits has always been important to me, and it makes the occasional sugar-y splurge extra special.

(If you are wondering, I didn't buy three boxes of clementines just for our family!)


Spelling test with Olivia... The color orange was less evident than I had hoped for in this one!


A cup of coffee in the mug Andrew gave me for Christmas...


I nearly forgot I have this orange hoodie. It's actually one of my favorites because it's so soft.


These are shells found on our walk along the beach. Olivia makes a fun partner when I let her in on my "assignments." The shades of orange may be debatable here, but I'm going with it anyway.


The beach. It's going to be my quiet place. I've always thought of myself as more of a "mountain person" than a "beach person" but it is really drawing me in. I bought myself a great big sunhat because I plan on being at the beach often, especially as the weather warms up.

And it is warming up. The fruit trees are beginning to bloom and the scent of jasmine fills the air. In fact, when I arrived too early to pick up Michael from his lessons one day this week, I drove back and forth along the street with all the windows down. The fences lining both sides of the street were draped with jasmine, and the fragrant breeze coming into the car was out of this world. We just had to buy a little jasmine plant at Trader Joe's because all I have at this house are succulents. Oh, and weeds. We're working on that...

I'm really enjoying this time of year here. Everything is greening up and the birds are singing their melodies. What is it they say? "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl." I believe it's true, and I'm super thankful that I can easily get to where it feels rural.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My verse for the week:

"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."   Galatians 6: 1-2

It is a good parenting verse for me. Any honest mom would admit there is a lot of transgression going on in her home among her little flock. It then becomes our job to seek restoration "in a spirit of gentleness," with true repentance being the desired outcome.

Sometimes, however, evidence of true repentance is lacking and the cycle repeats in no time.

How do I respond? Well, sadly, sometimes I'm already mad because I repeatedly have to deal with the same issues. Sometimes my flesh begins to rise within me when there is no repentance, even after I have  corrected in a spirit of gentleness. Sometimes I forget who the sin was committed against and I begin to act as if I was the victim.

In addition to sinful anger, there can be pride in there too. It's proud to think of others as more sinful than myself because I am made of the same stuff! Furthermore, it's pride that would have me believe I can bring about true change in one's life. Yes, and pride that causes me to be upset by the fact that things are never as lovely as I'd want them to appear.

I need the constant reminder to keep watch on myself, lest I too be tempted.

I need to remember that I am not the one who will bring about true repentance. In all things, I must be humbly dependent on the only One who can reach into our lives and change us. We are all weak, susceptible, sinful, and in desperate need of grace~ His grace.

What hope! I need to remember HOPE! I can give them hope by pointing them to Christ, and in so doing, and by the grace of God, I can come along side them and bear their burdens in love.


~Katherine


1 comment:

  1. I love how you've put 'orange in early spring" , I think it goes so well with the promise of warmer days ahead. It is an energetic color and should not be confined to Fall. Well done on this assignment!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...