Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas 2011

I've never sent out a Christmas card before. In fact, to the best of my recollection, these are our first non-candid family Christmas pictures ever! Consider this to be our Christmas card to you! Merry, merry, merry Christmas!


I've never wanted the pressure of having everyone dressed up, all matchy-matchy, trying to look perfect yet staring into the camera with a fake smile plastered on. My hat goes off to all the families who can successfully pull off family pictures each year! For us, this was somewhat unplanned... No new outfits, low expectations for perfection, and no pressure even for the whole family to participate.


After school one afternoon I grabbed the decorations the kids had made, a banner I made the evening before, my tripod, and a camera I am still unfamiliar with. I couldn't get the focus quite right! The clouds were heavy and the golden sunlight I was hoping for was non-existent. Still, that was better than glaring sun which results in grimacing faces. As I look at them now, I am glad to have these shots of us as the year comes to a close.


Candy... the secret to keeping them going!



A tiny pomegranate...

To my delight, Jon left work early to join us at this point!



~~~~~~~~~~

Christmas. It is a hard time for me to focus on Christ who is the very reason we celebrate. I have desired to be still and to meditate on the incarnation. I have craved it and longed to grasp just a little more, yet I find myself distracted, and even consumed with all the busyness.

There is one thing that keeps coming back to my mind in bits and pieces here and there, and for this I am very thankful. It is the truth that He is here with us.

He is Emmanuel. God with Us.

""Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
and they shall call his name Emmanuel
(which means, God with us)."  Matt. 1:23

He is the Son of God who came in full humanness, and He knows me intimately-- in my utter humanness-- and He loves me. He came to save me, He is here, and He will NEVER LEAVE ME. 

In all of the fun, in the hustle and bustle, in the singing and visiting, feasting and giving~ He is Emmanuel. 

He will be Emmanuel in the new year, in the joys and hardships that await. That is who He is and that is His promise...

"And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." Matt. 28:20b



~Katherine


1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...