Wednesday, February 16, 2011

More on Love

I had a great opportunity this morning. It was one of those times with a child that was not forced, and I am so grateful for all the little circumstances leading up to it. It was an open window, a chance to speak truth to an open heart.

It has been a rough road for Michael recently, and he has been frustrated with various difficulties. He has questioned why and complained about a certain reality. He is trying to understand, but my words have not been received with the desire to accept, only to resist. Like I have done too many times before, he didn't view God's plan as good and loving, but rather a curse.

Today was different.

Once again he questioned, but his tone and intention was different. He really did want to understand. We talked about God planning every detail of our lives before time began, and how much He loves us. We once again discussed God orchestrating every detail for His glory and our good. And with the help of the Holy Spirit, I helped him to see how adversity leads us to our knees in dependence upon Him, and through that God can strengthen us and build us up. There is always purpose because God love us that much!

(These pictures were taken early last summer while he was playing "Alley Kids" in his ripped up shirt.)


Recently in my own study I have been meditating on some passages in Lamentations, and so I took out my Bible to show him what the Word says. 

Regarding adversity in our life:

"Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both good and ill go forth?" Lam. 3:37-38


Regarding the Lord's love, compassion, and help in the mist of hardship:

"The Lord's lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness." Lam. 3:22-23

"For the Lord will not reject forever, for if He causes grief, then He will have compassion according to His abundant lovingkindness." Lam.3:31-32

"You have heard my voice, "Do not hide Your ear from my prayer for relief, from my cry for help." You drew near when I called on You; You said, "Do not fear!"
O Lord, You have pleaded my soul's cause; You have redeemed my life." Lam. 3:56-59


And many times God doesn't remove the "ill" or the trial/adversity, because he gave it to us in order to accomplish His purposes. But we can walk through it by His power and bring Him the glory. We must humbly let Him have His way with our lives.


Later Michael asked me if I could help him find the same verses in his Bible so he could highlight them. Precious. I pray that God will transform this little boy and work mightily in his life.


For Michael's sake I am so thankful for the Lord's work and promptings today, and for the encouragement it brought me.

Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...