Monday, February 7, 2011

Hiking

One of my favorite things to do is hike. I have always loved being out in nature. Wherever I've lived I have always been quick to discover places to hike. Last week, with the slight and momentary drop in the temperature, we set out for a hike overlooking the city. This particular hike doesn't provide much shade, so I generally avoid it during the hottest months.


We set out mid-afternoon and stayed until the sun began to set. We had to hurry down before the parking area closed up... I've heard several people say they've been locked in and there's no cell phone reception in the canyon should that ever happen.



I wish I could remember what cause the kids to crack up this way, but I think it had something to do with Jack standing behind me. I took a series of pictures of them laughing and it makes me laugh every time I look through them.


These two make the best pals. I just love to see Michael looking out for his sister. Such sweeties!



The little boys usually tire out long before the rest of us are ready to turn around, so the promise of a snack or a picnic when we reach our destinations usually keeps them going. Jacob rode on my back for a  couple minutes until he realized he couldn't stop for sticks and rocks. There are lots of pretty things to stop and look at, even for me. I love anything green because in another couple months I'll be looking at mostly browns.


This time our destination was an old burnt down structure in the middle of a clearing. There's no road in sight, and only a large chimney and parts of the foundation remains. There's a bunch shattered painted tile, which the kids like to call ancient pottery. It's the perfect place to have a snack and play.


There are always lizards sitting out in the sun, and Michael usually catches one for each of his siblings. They become pets for the afternoon. Michael and his lizards... what can I say! He used to want us to nickname him "Lizard". 


Here, Michael is showing everyone another lizard...


Jacob likes to find "treasures" and build. He was very serious about this hobby, and super proud of his accomplishments. I just love that boy!





We played till our shadows began to get long. The trek down is always fast and I'm constantly reminding  everyone to slow down. No matter, speed is more fun (but the spills that result always send us home with a few scrapes).





Michael was a sweetheart and insisted on carrying the backpack because my back has been giving me trouble recently.






What a blessed life! 

"Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart rejoices in Him, 
Because we trust in His holy name.
Let your lovingkindness, O Lord, be upon us,
According as we have hoped in You."

Ps. 33:20-22

~Katherine


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...